Kobe

Thursday, December 31, 2009

When my family moved into the house where my parents live now, Jed and I desperately wanted a dog. Desperately. I remember keeping a shoe box under my bed and every now and then, near bedtime, Jed, my Dad, and I would meet up in my room. I would pull out my shoe box which was full of dog toys (all of which were from my Dad who would sometimes make a pit stop at Petsmart on the way home from work), and an old pickle jar which we would fill up with the money we earned doing chores around the house. Sometimes, Dad would surprise us with a $10 bill and that was HUGE to us. This shoe box was our secret Dog Fund that Mom wasn't supposed to know about. Up until that point, we had only cats and my Mom was dead set on not letting us get a dog. We would look up dog ads in the paper every Sunday. We wanted a Black Lab and we were determined.

She finally gave in and Christmas of my 8th grade year (Dec. 98) Mom and Dad brought us Kobe. We named her Kobe because Jed got a pack of Basketball cards in his stocking and Kobe Bryant was on the top of the stack. We mostly just liked the name. We all worked really hard to train her and eventually she knew a bunch of tricks. She could sit, stay, shake, roll over, "dodge bullets" (Jed would have her lay down, point his finger at her, say "bang", and she would roll over), and balance a treat on her nose and keep it there until you told her it was ok to flip it up in the air and eat it. She was so good at showing off. She also acted like a puppy all the time. She never "acted old".

You can probably see where I'm going with this... Kobe passed away today. She had cancer and had gotten a cold these last few days. Jed was the one that found her. It was good I was here this last month though. I got to see her before it was time for her to go and I also let her do all the things she's not allowed to do. :) I think she was happy and didn't suffer too much. Today was a sad day for our family. We will miss and love Kobe and she was the best first dog I have ever had. Never again will another dog be as good as she was to us.

6 Wisecracks:

Toni said...

I'm totally crying. I'm so sorry. It is so difficult to lose a pet. They are truly a part of the family. I'm glad Kobe went peacefully, and that he got to be a part of such a wonderful family. He's now playing in that big dog park in the sky.

Cyndi Hendrickson said...

I'm so sorry, Audrey. She's beautiful. I love her pretty girl puppy smile - even with a white muzzle.

The Grady's said...

Oh my goodness...this post goes home! I had a black lab growing up that looked so much like Kobe and Toby (that's our dog) is very old and is probably not going to make it much longer (he was born in '96!)...He has been such a good dog (labs make the best dogs!)...I hope you have many happy memories with Kobe to remember and lots of pictures of you together :)

Daphne said...

I totally know what you mean! When our dog Muffy died it was like a little piece of my childhood died. She was our first and best (albeit grumpy toward the end) dog. Every dog since we had her. . . it was like they were Satan. First pets set the bar so high.

RIP Kobe

Megan B ♥ said...

Aw, bummer. I'm so sorry, Audrey. That is really really sad.

Unknown said...

That is so sad! Jed told me about it last night. She really was a sweet dog. Oh and I'm so glad I finally got to meet you and your cute baby! She is adorable!