Home Sweet Home.. for now

Monday, February 16, 2009

We were welcomed into the NICU today with open arms! We really feel like we're home now! For the next 3 months at least. Our nurse today had watched Darbi only once before we were sent up to Primary and she remembered us and was so happy we were back! Other people I had only met once remembered us and wanted to know how Darbi was doing now. They remembered me even though the last time I saw them, I was in nasty hospital gowns, undone hair, and about 25 pounds heavier. It was a really good feeling to know how much they cared. Her nurse tonight said that Darbi was the smallest baby she's ever taken care of and she was terrified! Now she looks so much more sturdy than she did a month ago. It's so nice knowing how close she is to us and that if for some reason I can't sleep in the middle of the night, it's just a few minutes drive and I can be there with her.

We arrived at the hospital tonight and I was able to help with her bath and weighing her. For both, I was able to be the one to lift her up while her bedding was changed and while we weighed her. I GOT TO HOLD HER FINALLY!!! She's so tiny! She feels like she weighs even less than she looks! I told the nurses and they were so shocked that I had never held her. After we were done, they asked if she liked sucking on a binky and I said that we've never tried... Once again; SHOCK. So they went and grabbed the smallest one they had. It's just barely smaller than her head! It fit in her mouth nicely and she really liked it! It was so cute.. she would suck on it and fall asleep for a minute, wake herself up and start sucking again.. Today was an awesome day and we are SO SO SO grateful that we could have her nearer to home.






8 Wisecracks:

Jen Howick said...

YEA! I'm so glad you could finally hold her, I can't believe that you have never been able to hold your very own baby! Wow! She looks great though and I'm glad she is closer to home for you though I have an absolute love and respect for Primary Childrens. There is such a special spirit there, like nothing I have ever felt at any other hospital. But you deserve to have your baby girl closer to home. hip hip hooray!

Megan B ♥ said...

Soooooo so happy for you all, for dozens of reasons. I'm a teeny bit jealous that you will be discharged from that little piece of heaven, but I'll get over it since Crew is slung up on my shoulder right now as I type this.

Suzanne said...

Oh my gosh, guys... that tiny binky in her mouth is just about the cutest thing I've ever seen.

I'm happy that she is close to home and that you can finally hold her! I can't imagine how hard that must have been to not have been able to hold your own child. Hold her lots now!!

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

I'm so glad you were able to hold your little sweetie pie!!! FINALLY! The pictures with her binki are priceless. She is such a doll.

I'm soooooooo glad she's back to Utah Valley. What a relief!

Can I bring you dinner tonight? Let me know what time you'll be home... when I can drop it off. :)

Shari Romney Family!! said...

How exciting! Im so glad that she is doing so well and now is so close. I love the pictures.
~Shari Romney

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

Audrey, i just got your message. Yes, dinner tomorrow night is just fine! I will bring it by tomorrow!

Also, I'm planning on saving you a spot this Thursday night.

Anyway, I just called and left you a message... just disregard it. :) I hope you're having an awesome day!

Sincerely,
Ashley

Alisha said...

That is such great news! She is so sweet. Congrats on the move back to town!

Aimee said...

Congrats on making it back to your home hospital!! We live only 2.5 miles from Connor's NICU, and I can't imagine having to be further from him. So happy that you were finally able to hold her - I totally understand how excruciating that wait time can be... feels so unnatural and foreign. We're still praying for you guys!