Lucky Find!

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Lookie what I found at the DI today!! I LOVE it!! It's a dresser but we are going to sand it down and paint it some kind of grey/white combination and use it as our entertainment center! I'm not sure how old it is but there is a Bassett Furniture brand burned onto the inside of one of the drawers. It's smells like old lady perfume and I won't be able to finish it until it warms up. It's going to be a little ugly/smelly in my living room for a while but I don't care! We might take out the two top drawers on each side and make them shelves so that our cable box/wii/dvd player can fit easily. If you open the white panel in the middle, there are 3 drawers behind it. Perfect for Clint's ugly wires that I find all over the house. Perfectly contained! Any advice on how to go about this? I've never done this before... any other thoughts on paint color/design?? I'm open to other ideas.

7 Wisecracks:

Heather Vincent said...

That is an awesome find! Were you going to take the little legs off and let it sit flat on the floor? We have a dresser and nightstand that was my Grandma's and it smelled like an old lady. Clean it really well, with a fruity smelling cleaner. Then get those potpori (I don't know how to spell that, sorry)bags that you can usually find that hang on a hanger, and put those in both sides and the middle of each drawer. It WILL get the smell out.

Audrey said...

We're definitely keeping the legs on. That's my favorite part about the whole thing! Totally mid-century looking! Thanks for the cleaning tips! I will for sure try those out.

jenny said...

good find! :) miss talking to you at pebbles.

Stephanie said...

Great find! I'm jealous. I almost never find anything exciting at DI. They always seem so picked over. The only thing I can suggest is sand, sand, sand. It's a pain but sanding in between coats makes the paint go on so much smoother. Also, a good primer (Kilz brand maybe) may help to get rid of the smell. I have some blogs with tips if you want them. Can't wait to see how it turns out! By the way, the French dip sandwiches were made in our crockpot with a roast that cooked on low all day. I couldn't tell you what kind of roast but I know it has to be the kind you can shred. Once we put the roast in then we put in beef broth and onion soup mix. I can get the specifics for you from my mom if you want.

Team Skousen said...

CUTE!! I looove it! My advice depends on the material. Most of those styles have a laminate finish which you DO NOT want to sand! I learned that the hard way haha. If it is laminate, prime it first (Kilz is the best) without sanding then paint or spray paint. If it is wood then it is a free for all! Sanding is a must but I would still prime for a smooth finish. I have a few projects on my blog if you want to check them out. Good luck, I can't wait to see it!

Team Skousen said...

OH p.s. once you clean/sand/prime/paint the smell goes away. I would DIE if my house smelled like the goodwill or the D.I. haha

Megan B ♥ said...

Wow, I can't wait for the grand reveal!!! Restorations are not my forte, and I'm always SO impressed with other people are successful!