No More O2!

Saturday, June 26, 2010

As of Thursday afternoon, we are officially OXYGEN-LESS. Trips to the moon are being planned as I speak! It's such a weird feeling. We took her off the O2 during the day about a month ago. Talk about feeling liberated!! Holy smokes. No tie downs - no leashes - there was happiness all around. My shoulder was screaming thank you's at me every time I left the house! But we were just given the ok to go without oxygen at night too! I feel like I'm forgetting something every time I put her to bed.

I remember when Darbi first came home from the hospital, I was constantly thinking about what it would be like to have a Normal baby. With normal weight gain, normal trips to the grocery store (without darty-eyes at all those germ factories), normal meal times, and I would dream about how it would be to just simply take Darbi out of the car. It was always such an ordeal. Leaving the house meant having one shoulder with a heart monitor, the oxygen tank and the other shoulder with the heavy diaper bag with every necessity known to mothering. On top of it all, one of those elbows had to carry the car seat. Keys, sunglasses.. don't drop anything... and try to get the kid and all her glory in the car. Now, I carry the kid, my purse... and THAT'S IT. I love it. She loves it. No need for extra O2. I think things are changing around here. She's Normal. CAPITAL N. Yeah, we're still a little germ conscious. It's not something that goes away overnight. But I'm feeling a ton better about not getting crazy looks everywhere we go.

Sidenote: We're DONE nursing! Officially. Can you believe I nursed for 18 months?! Yikes. Before I had Darbi, my silly ignorant self always said the day she gets teeth, we're done. I'm so glad we nursed as long as we did. I am 100% confident that that is the reason she stayed so healthy and has done as well as she has so far.

Isn't that face so much cuter without all that tubing?!

8 Wisecracks:

Anonymous said...

found your blog though some other premie blogs and I happen to be a lactation consultant sooo... I had to say, way to go nursing for so long!!! It is not easy to overcome the problems of nursing a premie!!! she will healthier her entire life because you cared and worked so hard!!!!

Team Skousen said...

YAY Darbi!!!!! That is so exciting!

Audrey said...

Holy cow!!! Congrats. That's so great!!

Karalee said...

Yay for no more oxygen. Joshua had wires and stuff for about 6 weeks after he came home and it was so annoying, I am sure you feel liberated.

That is impressive nursing time. My goal is to term plus one year. So Joshua was 15 months, and 13 months for Minna. Isn't it kind of bittersweet when it ends, even though it is great to have the boobs back.

The Plum Verbena said...

I was so excited when I read this post!! Congrats on NO oxygen! I can only imagine how exciting that must be! Darbi is precious though, with or without the tubes! We are still nursing- 17 months, and I am ready to be done. Olivia is not. How did you wean D?

Megan B ♥ said...

WOW, she's all growed up now!! Way to go, Darbi!! Wahoo! We are super super proud of you!

Megan B ♥ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Aimee said...

I'm late to catch up, but... YAY, DARBI! That's *amazing* news!!