Copycat

Sunday, November 8, 2009

Sorry we have been a little MIA this week. We've been making some changes to Darbi's sleep patterns and it's taking a toll on my sleep patterns. She's up every 2 hours! Also... she's not really getting the eating-rice-cereal thing so it's hard to make her try it every night. I know the taste is an issue but with her it's more about technique problems. Any tips would be appreciated...

Here's a cute video of her from about a week or so ago. She's starting to imitate us more and she has to be in the right mood for her to want to do this but it's so dang cute when she is! Sorry the video is turned the other way. Clint was taking video and I guess I haven't taught him proper taking-video-with-the-camera technique yet. It's on my list. Promise.



Aaannnd she's awake again... ugh.

7 Wisecracks:

Karalee said...

Cute video.

The only suggestions I have are change the texture of the cereal, Joshua liked his thicker from the beginning, when it was soupy he lost most of it. Also I am assuming you are mixing it with your milk, if not, I would try that, help with the taste. One last idea, you could try a stage 1 baby food jar of some sort, see if she likes that better, then start adding the cereal to that.

Good luck

Mel H. said...

She's SO cute. Those legs are amazing! Can you try a different cereal for taste? We actually just started oatmeal for Daphne. She's too constipated for rice cereal, and I remember Lucy liked the oatmeal better too. Adding fruit puree to the cereal may work too, even just a bit. Finally, try experimenting with different spoons. Round, pointy, rubber, plastic....maybe D will have a preference.

Team Skousen said...

I have no advice, I'm so lame. BUT that video is cute!! I hear the sports in the background too. Sounds like a fun day!

Toni said...

She is so stinkin' cute! As for the cereal, I started out with rice cereal for my kids, but soon after switched to oatmeal. They liked it better. And I also added a little apple juice to it to sweeten it up a bit. Good luck!

Becky Bean said...

I watched it three times. because she is CUTE! I'll probably watch it again.

Megan B ♥ said...

Ditto to Karalee and Mel: We mix rice cereal with stage 1 (and now 2) baby food; Crew doesn't like anything BUT rice cereal--he is very particular about it. And in the beginning we had to test out a lot of different textures, adding water, using more cereal, etc, to find the magical combination. And if all she eats is 1-2 tbs at a time while as she's getting more comfortable with the idea, that's really ok for a while. It's quite a workout for her and you don't want her to dig her pretty little heels in. Also, you might try slipping it into the side of her mouth instead of straight on.

Shari Romney Family!! said...

Nixon had acid reflux as well as severe sensory issues. We are working on eating still and he is almost two. However for him when it came to rice cereal he did better with the gerber rice cereal than the beech nut. The gerber seemed more light and flaky and when mixed was more smooth for him. He just didnt like the beech nut kind until he got older. And it did help when it was little mit more thicker than watery. I would add some banana or plum to it she would love the taste, especially is she drinks your milk she is used to sweet tasting stuff. Not bland grossness! I noticed that you said she needs more help with the technique of it. Is she still doing more of the sucking motion? One way that helps with Nixon is when putting the spoon into his mouth puch gently down on his tongue and some how it helps. And really if you cant seem to figure it out and its more stressed I would wait two weeks and try again. Some times some babies cant eat baby food till they are a little bit older than others. I hoped this adviced helped!!