You've GOT to be kidding me!!!!

Tuesday, February 9, 2010

January blues have turned into February blues... blogging will pick up soon. But breaking news...

Darbi tested POSITIVE for RSV today. :( HOW?!?!?!?! She just had her Synagis shot 11 days ago! Synagis is to prevent RSV. We have worked so hard to keep D away from harmful germs and she ends up catching the worst one of all. Not to say that was all for naught though... I'm glad she's as big as she is right now (even though she hasn't gained more than half a pound in the last 2 1/2 months..).

She woke up yesterday with a runny nose. Not too bad. I can handle that. Then it moved into her head last night. She was stuffy and achy. I could just tell she didn't feel good and she was very whiney and cuddly. I went to Walmart around midnight and bought a humidifier. Neither of us got much sleep and I ended up sleeping on the floor in her room because I was too tired to walk back to my bed... every single time.

The cough started this morning, I decided to call the Dr. because 1) She's NEVER had a real cold before (the other 2 times it was because of immunizations then she was teething), 2) I've never had a baby before and I have NO IDEA how to handle this, and 3) she's on oxygen!!

They fit me in right before lunch. She weighs 14 pounds 6 ounces now, by the way. They swabbed her nose to check for RSV and it came back positive. Our jaws dropped! The test is 85% accurate so we are hoping on the slim chance it was a false positive. They said her lungs sounded perfect so I really really hope it was a mistake.

Our plan is to watch D for the next 2-3 days. If she gets worse, we need to go in to the hospital for the big expensive RSV test. Right now, she's eating okay and smiles when we sing songs and play games but she sounds so miserable every other minute. I hate seeing her like this. :( I feel so helpless.

We'll try to keep our germs to ourselves! :)

Sicky eyes :(


Being cute and smiley with Daddy before our appointment

7 Wisecracks:

Becky Bean said...

I'm still so shocked about this. We're keeping y'all in our prayers. How could it be RSV???

The Robisons said...

Poor little Darbs. I feel so bad for her. Let me know if you need anything. I love you guys!

Megan B ♥ said...

I can't even understand how this has happened. Isn't this why you have an additional car payment every month? It was YOU who left the message! My phone was off so it didn't record who it came from and it was choppy so I only heard part of the message! I actually thought it was you but convinced myself that it couldn't be! I am SO SORRY. How scary scary!!

Stephanie said...

Oh, I'm sorry! And we were just talking about that on Monday. I can't believe she tested positive! I hope she starts to feel better soon. It is so miserable to have a sick baby.

Mel H. said...

I'm SO sorry. How did this happen????? I'm hoping it's a false positive too. Our little D. got swabbed last week too, but since I haven't heard anything I gather it's negative. FYI, Synagis is not a vaccine, so it's not 100% effective. If she does have RSV, though, her body is prepped with antibodies to fight it. OK, science nerd logging out. Feel better, Big D. Kisses from Little D.

Heather Vincent said...

I'm so sorry. It is very scary. Right after we were able to bring Paizlei home, the Synagis shot they gave her in the NICU actually caused her to get RSV. I totally understand your frustration, pain, confusion. I hope Darbi gets felling better fast. We will keep her in our prayers.

Shari Romney Family!! said...

Oh! Im so sorry! She probably contracted it from when you went into the doctors office to get the shot! All someone has to do is sneeze and everyone can get infected! Since she received the host hopefully she will just have a little light episode of it! Its good that she is oxygen monitor and that you have oxygen to giver her though so you know when its actually troubling her breathing! I hope she feels better soon!