Meeting Nana

Friday, May 22, 2009

A few days ago, Clint received a call from his Dad saying that his Mom (Clint's grandma - Nana, Darbi's Great Grandma) wasn't doing so well and we might want to make a trip up to see her so she could meet Darbi. So last night, we packed up Darbi, in all her cord glory, and made our way up to North Ogden. She slept the whole ride up which was good because we had Kade (Clint's little brother) with us and as much as he loves kids, constant baby cries are sometimes too much.

It was so sweet. I asked Nana if she wanted to hold her and she was like "She's so tiny! I can't!" I made her anyway. I needed the picture!! :) So I layed Darbi in her arms and Nana LOVED her! Nana started to cry. It was the sweetest thing. Darbi got a little fussy so I took her back but sat on the floor next to Nana for the rest of the evening so she could get a good look at Big D. She just kept saying how sweet and cute she was and how what a good mommy she had (me - hee hee) and kept wiping the tears away. I am so glad we were able to go up and they could meet each other.

Nana is 92 and sometimes isn't as sharp as she used to be but she seemed to be doing pretty alright while we were there. We told her a couple of times that Darbi only weighed a pound when she was born but it never really sunk in I think. About halfway through the evening, she asked me how old she was. I told her Darbi was 5 months and her jaw dropped!! It was so funny! She could not believe it!



She mostly has it together, but every now and then, she can get a little crazy. :) I remember one time, about a year or 2 ago when Dave (Clint's Dad) was getting ready to move into the house they are in now. Clint and Dave were down in the basement getting ready to move some of the big furniture out while I was in the living room with Nana packing up some of the more delicate decorations. They had a ton of paintings hanging on the wall (asian themed) and there was one in particular that Nana wanted to tell me about.

Nana: "You see that painting of the tiger up on the wall there?"
Me: "Yeah Nana?"
Nana: "I painted that."
Me: "Wow, it's really pretty"

Here's where it gets good...

Nana: "I was 9"
Me: "WOW. You are very talented!"
Nana: "While I was painting it, there were these people standing off to the side.. They are outside of the painting so you can't see them. They were taunting the tiger so he would make that growling face!"
Me: "You must have been very scared!"
Nana: "No, there were people there to make sure he didn't attack us."

She did not paint the picture of the tiger but everytime I see that painting, it makes me smile and I'm glad that I now have a special memory of Nana that no one else has. I still need to take a picture of that painting so I remember what it looks like. On the car ride home, Clint and Kade kept telling funny stories that they remembered about Nana. I wish I could have know her a little better because she seems like a very unique woman and I am glad Darbi was able to meet her.

2 Wisecracks:

Daphne said...

I love that story about the tiger painting. My grandma loves ot tell stories...the same ones...over and over...so I do my best to direct her towards my favorites, liek the time she was on the bus from L.A. to AZ and the guy sitting next to her died and no one knew it until they stopped somewhere.

scett

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

Your Nana is so cute! The pictures are so wonderful. I'm glad you made her hold your sweet Darbi. What wonderful memories.

I hope you're doing okay. Truly. I haven't wanted to step on your toes and so I've kept my distance. I know it is so hard, especially during these times, but PLEASE know I am here and I would LOVE to do anything to help out in any way. I really mean it.

Sounds like you guys are having many wonderful adventures. Know I think of you, and pray for you, often.

Your friend,
Ashley