Rooming In

Sunday, May 3, 2009

As I type this, I am sitting in bed (at the hospital) and Darbi is laying in her crib next to me sleeping! We got here around 8:30 to start and she was STARVING. As soon as we got settled in here, we fed her and she was so gassy! She would not stop crying. I was thinking.. Great.. this is going to be a l-o-n-g night! But she's asleep now and I've got about an hour before I need to feed her again. I hope this goes well. Before we came I was stressing major! It terrifies me to know that it's all us. Yeah the nurses are down the hall tonight.. but not tomorrow night! Oy. So the home health medical supply man came to see us today with Darbi's heart monitor and oxygen tank. I think it was after talking with him and having him teach us everything when I started to kind of freak out. I don't know how you Mom's out there go home after having a full term baby! You get 3 days.. sometimes less with the nurses! I've had 4 months and I'm TERRIFIED!! The monitor has 1 light that blinks for each time her heart beats and 1 light for each breath she takes. If her heart rate goes above 230 or drops below 70, it beeps LOUD or if she doesn't take a breath for 20 seconds... or if the leads are placed wrong. They are only stuck to her with a little jelly and strapped on with a foam velcro strap. They move so easily. We've already had it beep at us 3 times in 2 hours just because they've moved. UGH. And oh I'm tired.. and I don't think I'm going to be not tired for a very long time.

7 Wisecracks:

Karalee said...

Get some tape from the hospital and tape them on too. I was going crazy because the monitors kept falling off. Just a warning though if you do that it will stick for a couple of days and you can't bath her every night (if you wanted to). Also try clipping the cords to something so there is not constant tension pulling away from her skin. I think we clipped ours to the pack n play.

Good luck with rooming in. You will do great when you go home.

Megan B ♥ said...

LOL, you can TOTALLY do this!!! I can't WAIT for her to go on her picnic! So exciting! So CRAZY!! Those monitors sound horrible... I have heard they are loud enough to wake the neighborhood :)

Semi Granola Mom said...

Your body gets used to the exhaustion :) Every time you feel too tired, all you have to do is look at your little one and it will remind you how worth it being tired for a few years is :)
So glad she is doing awesome, good luck!
~C

Alison said...

You nailed it on the head Audrey... you are going to be tired for a very long time!!! A very long time!

But you get used to it!

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

I am here. I am more than happy to help you with anything. Even if you just want someone to SIT there with you during the first while.

You definitely CAN do this. You and Clint are so awesome and I have complete confidence in you.

So, are you coming home tonight then?

The Blackham3 said...

I am so excited for you! WAY TO GO DARBI!

Jen Howick said...

Full term mom's might have 3 or less days with the nurses, but they also don't have a baby coming home on heart monitors etc... that were born 27 weeks early! I hope you are doing well!