Almost Double Digits

Thursday, July 16, 2009

The doctor's office scale Wednesday morning said Darbi is 9 pounds 11 ounces! Almost 10 pounds! I was really hoping for 10 but we're happy nonetheless! The doctor is pleased with her progress and told me to make my next appointment for two months out. TWO MONTHS! I'm so happy that he is pleased she is doing well enough to go that long. Unfortunately, that means, at least 2 more months of oxygen.. and likely 3+. I am happy, however, that the Welcome Baby group is still visiting us monthly. In two months time, I think she's still going to be behind developmentally and I want to make sure I don't miss anything.

Right now,
- She can hold her head up but she's still shaky. She can turn it, no problem once her head is up.
- During tummy time, she doesn't try to lift herself up at all. She'll just bury her face in the blanket, scream, and push with her legs. When we do tummy time on the Boppy, she almost does a somersault out of it because she's pushing so hard with her legs. It's kinda funny...
- She smiles, which is good. I'm not too worried there.
- She "has a conversation" with me about 2 or 3 times a week and they don't last very long. I don't know when the constant "talking" will begin. She doesn't seem to have found her voice but I think I can chalk that up to her just barely being able to hear anything that doesn't sound like she's underwater. She did, however, seem to almost giggle yesterday when I was "growling" at her. She likes the deep voices and seems to respond more.
- She doesn't really care for toys when we try to play with them around her. She can fix her eyes on things (like her mobile) but they toys haven't interested her yet.
- There is definitely no rolling over.

Hopefully in the next month, I can check some small accomplishments off of our list. Also, at our appointment, the office let us borrow one of their O2 Sat monitors (through some MAJOR arm twisting by me and the Doctor (you'd think he'd have some pull.. as it is his office). Those iron-fisted nurses would not let it go!) and we noticed she does fine on 1/16L when her mouth is shut. Because then she's for sure getting the oxygen that is going up her nose. However, when she's screaming, she'll go from having her blood 98% saturated with oxygen down to 72% (Perfect is +85%). I think the key is during the day, we'll stick to 1/16L to get her used to it. Then in the evening when she's more fussy, we'll go back up to 1/8L just to be safe. She also had 2 more shots which gave her a fever last night and some major fussiness. Clint gave her a Father's Blessing and after she calmed down pretty quick and went to sleep. Go Priesthood!

Tonight, Clint made tin foil dinners and MAN does he know how. And I had a year's worth of cramps to keep me company today. :(

4 Wisecracks:

weeksfam said...

Sorry about the cramps, but I know what you mean, I've had my share!

Becky Bean said...

You have an awesome family!

Justina Selim said...

That's great that she is doing so well! You are such a great mama!

Esther/Mom/Grandma said...

Thanks for coming to Kayley's shower - I wish we had been able to visit more. I am amazed at all you deal with. I don't think I could handle it, at least not nearly as well as you guys do! Keep up the good work...even though it is difficult. She is sooo worth it!