What. A. Night.

Thursday, July 9, 2009

So we learned tonight that 1/16L of oxygen is not enough for D in the evening time. ARGH. I was already on a physical and emotional low and I had already had one crying spell for the night. To make the night worse, Darbi was so sad. The screaming... OH the screaming. NOTHING I would do would make her happy. She was screaming so hard that at one point, she started choking and couldn't breathe. We kinda freaked out for a minute..

Lately, at night, it seems like she's getting the bottle and the boob confused and will not eat from me after Clint has given her the bottle. This only lasts for the initial feeding after the bottle. Then she usually will go to sleep and when she wakes up, she has forgot all about the bottle and is ready for me. This has been going on for about a week now but tonight was horrible. I have a crying headache now because I was so frustrated. I felt bad too because Clint doesn't get any sleep when I can't seem to quiet her. So Clint took her and she calmed down a bit.

He was the one to suggest that we put her back on the air concentrator for the night. The air concentrator only goes down to 1/8L and since the Dr. ordered 1/16L, we've been on the tank solely since July 1st. So I turn off her tank and when I do that, usually the nossle will turn about 1/4 of a turn and it will be off. It turned just barely which means she was hardly getting any oxygen. That is why she was so fussy. Almost instantly we saw a change. She went from being tense and red-ish, to relaxed.. almost like a limp noodle. It took me about 10 mintues of straight snuggling.. the good kind where she is happy.. then she went to sleep. This weening process is going a bit slower than I had anticipated but like the Dr. said, she will go at her own pace and we just have to follow.

I. am. exhausted.

4 Wisecracks:

jenny said...

well i'm sure you are an incredible mother. that would be so scary and hard. you are amazing!

Semi Granola Mom said...

frustration occurs to the best of us.
exhaustion, oh man I thought I knew what tired was when I was single and partied all night, oh no, exhaustion takes on a whole new dimension of being tired once you have a baby.
And I know I don't have to remind you, since you guys have gone down that premie road, but it honestly was like a slap upside the head to reaquaint with friends in the past year and find out how many of them have lost their babies.
Then I remember to be grateful that exhaustion is my burden to bare for now, instead of heart ache.

~C

Audrey said...

Sad sad story!!! Poor baby and poor mommy and poor daddy! But I'm glad you figured it out... That would be so NOT fun.

And I'm glad that you liked my post. :) Thanks for commenting, by the way, I get WAY too excited when people comment on my blog.

Suzanne said...

I'm sorry for your frustration. I sure hope she starts getting cheerier. I honestly can't think of anything worse than persistent crying with NO IDEA of how to stop it. Ugg. Hang in there.