Being 40 Weeks

Sunday, April 26, 2009

It's weird to imagine myself pregnant still. With my due date being yesterday, I've imagined time and time again what it would be like to be one of those women who are pregnant and expecting right around finals. Although I'm not in school anymore, Clint is and we were prepared to tell all of his professors that I would possibly be going into labor during finals week. Just so that we were all on the same page. This was all last October when we talked about how we would deal with expecting a baby in April. It seems like so long ago. We've come so far and it seems like we've never not had Darbi to think about and visit at the hospital.

I was holding Darbi tonight after her feeding and looking at how far we've come and how big she is now and I cannot even fathom pushing her out of me!! OUCH. I admire those women who give birth to 10 pound babies. WOW. Clint was almost a 10 pound baby and if Darbi made it full term, she could have easily been huge. I guess it's a blessing... a bittersweet one. The more I think about it though, I am so grateful that Darbi came early with as little complications as we have had. I have had the chance to really get to know her and Clint has also had that chance. It's something we can both share. We get to stare into her beautiful eyes every night and tell her how special she is and how much we love her. I know that there is that bonding experience that happens in the womb in those later weeks that I will never have with her but I wouldn't change it for anything. She is such a special little girl who has taught us so much and I am so thankful for her.

2 Wisecracks:

Audrey said...

Oh gosh, this post almost made me cry. It was so sweet! You are such a mommy!

Alison said...

what a great post! you are a sweet mommy!