Day 62

Tuesday, March 3, 2009

We hit 3 pounds tonight! It took us 50 days to go from 1 pound to 2 pounds and 12 days to go from 2 pounds to 3 pounds! I wonder how fast it will take to hit 4...

They started her back on milk the other day and they are taking their time getting her back up to full feeds. It is fine with me because last time, they rushed her and it ended up putting us a few steps back. Hopefully, by taking it much slower, she'll still gain weight but not get sick from it. I'm happy with how we've decided to go about that. We will definitely not be getting her up to 26 calories in her milk fortifier.. I put my foot down. The dietitian said that's what it will take to get her to gain weight faster but I really don't think we should be figuring out how to do it faster... I think we need to get her to gain weight period. Faster actually means slower because it makes her sick. I'm the boss around here people... Anyway.. here is my FAT baby!!


And please say hello to her 5 CHINS... I think we'll try and keep those around for a while. (and her arm fat... LOVING it)


Clint got to hold her today for the first time! He's been super busy trying to stay on top of his schoolwork and on top of starting his new job (which he LOVES by the way) it's been hard getting him down to the hospital at a time that works with Darbi's schedule. She penciled him in for tonight though.. That was nice of her. Isn't that a sweet pic? She did open her eyes and get a good look at him and they also had some alone time while I went and picked up our nightly Dr. Peppers. :) I'm happy she finally got to really meet her Daddy.


I love these two!

She is doing wonderful on the CPAP and Monday night, our Doctor actually considered taking her off of the CPAP! That would have been 4 days from oscillator to nothing. Awesome but a bit fast... her oxygen need has gone up a bit these last 2 days. Not bad enough to intubate but enough to leave her on the CPAP for a little while longer. We were expecting to be on this for around 2 weeks so if they say a few more days.. no biggie. Her lungs are looking clear and fabulous! I spend every night at the hospital with her for about 2 hours doing kangaroo care and having awesome snuggle time. I love it! She seems to love it too because she snuggles right up and falls asleep on me. Best part of my day! :)

8 Wisecracks:

Courtney said...

What a cute little chunk :)

Jen Howick said...

Love all those chins!!! I was just wondering last night how many days it's been! Wow! You definitely need to have control over the eating thing, when my 2nd was in the NICU for a few weeks, Brian finally took control over how the eating thing worked too and we finally got to bring him home, otherwise I know he would have been there much longer. Hats off to all of you - you guys look amazing!

Shari Romney Family!! said...

That is so exciting that she has already reached 3 pounds!! And that it only took twelve days!! If she gains that much weight every tweleve days she will be just shy of five pounds by the end of this month! She looks so good. Congratulations on all of her great progress!!
~Shari

sue said...

Hi Clint and Audrey...
Thanks for the updates. I sure look forward to them. About those chins...why are chunky chins, chunky, arms and chunky thighs only cute on babies??? LIFE'S NOT FAIR!!!
Keep up the good work Miss Darbi. We love you all.
Aunt Sue

The Alleman Family said...

I love her!! Thank You for taking me to see her today. She is such a sweet little miracle. I think you and Clint are amazing- doing this day in and day out. I know you don't have any other choice but it really does take special people to take care of these bitty babies and Heavenly Father had no doubt that you guys could handle it!

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

WAHOO!!! Good for you for putting your foot down! YOU know your baby best! You know your baby better than ANY trained medical professional, plus, Heavenly Father tells mommy's and daddy's what their baby needs. I wanted to jump up and down and cheer for you when I read that! You have the PERFECT perspective!

That pic of her "5 chins" made me laugh! What a CUTIE! And the pic of your hubby with Darbi is absolutely precious! You guys are so amazing!

Audrey said...

This is so precious. I'm SO SO SO glad that you can hold her everyday now. That is so great! And a WHOLE THREE POUDNS??? That's huge! Yay! I want to see her again... :)

Audrey said...

Another thing- when she is older, and I am home from my mission, can I be the babysitter? I promise I'm good with mini toddlers!