Fatty milk, bath time, and new clothes

Thursday, March 12, 2009

My Mom flew into town this morning and her and my grandma made it down to the hospital around 3ish today. I was supposed to meet with the Lactation team today because they wanted to check my hind milk for the number of calories it contained. So normally we drink 1% or 2% milk, right? My fore milk (the milk pumped before the hind milk) is 9% and my hind milk is 17%!!! Crazy huh?? And here's the kicker.. My milk, when pumped regularly, is 20 calories per serving. They were fortifying it to 26 calories per serving. Only 6 more calories.. not too much but it was enough to make her sick. My milk... 49 calories!!!!! And it doesn't make her sick. The Lactation nurse said that is probably the fattiest milk she's ever seen!! Awesome but at the same time.. what am I doing that is making it so fatty?? But I'm not changing my diet because whatever I'm doing is working. That means I get to stick with my 44 oz. DP's every day!! She better gain some serious weight now. Darbi's nurse also said that your body knows what the baby needs because they've been in the body so long. The body will adjust to accommodate... meaning... she gets fattier milk because she needs to gain weight!! My body is so smart.. I love that.

This morning when I called, the nurse said that Darbi's PICC line had gone bad and her leg was all swollen and sore. I hadn't even noticed it. What a bad Mom I am... she relies on me to watch for that stuff.. Anyway, while I was there holding her, it dawned on me that with no PICC line.. no IV... she can have a real bath!! Submerged in water! We made a plan to dunk her around 7:30. She LOVED LOVED LOVED it. I was a little worried as this is a completely new experience for her. She cried a little at first and but you could tell she was SO relaxed. She slept so good when we were done.. She was out cold.

I love how saggy my pants are. :) Time to get new smaller ones!!





Guess who finally can wear clothes!! It looks tiny... It STILL doesn't fit her!!


Ok.. I guess it does a little.. It fits her length... her shoulders get lost though.


My sweet sleepy girl.

8 Wisecracks:

Karalee said...

Holy cow with the milk. No wonder she is growing like a weed. Now you can keep her off the fortifier, there seems to be no need for all that grief. She is going to be a chunky baby when you get out of there.

Hurray for clothes! She is so cute.

The Robisons said...

Yeah Audrey! Colette and I are so happy for you guys!

Alison said...

Yea for clothes...

Keep in mind that Build a Bear has some wayyyyyy cute little things... when she is big enough to fit them.

Nic and Ashley Haws said...

That's so awesome! I'm so glad your milk isn't making her sick at all! That is so great! I hope she grows like a weed too!

What precious pictures of her getting a bath! That's so neat that she loved it! She's a little spa-girl! How cute is that?!?!?

I hope you have a good weekend with your mom. Know that I am thinking of you.

Shari Romney Family!! said...

That is so wonderful that you have such a healthy milk supply for her to gain weight so quickly. I love the pictures!! That is so great that you got to giver her a bath!!
~Shari

The Alleman Family said...

Super excited about the clothes! And dang you are making some serious cream! I am so glad she is doing SO good! She will be home in no time.

Anthony and Erin Mills said...

How cute! She's changing so much!

Cyndi Hendrickson said...

49 calories?!? Is that possible? Very impressive! I'm going to ask about eating fish today - not sure why they told you to do that... I was craving it big time last week and didn't know why... Maybe intuition?