Milk it baby!!

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Tuesday morning, around 9:30ish, they did the contrast dye test on her. To do this, she needed to be transported to the 3rd floor. You can't really just pick her up and carry her there, and if they were to wheel her bed down there, they would have to follow her with her oscillator (breathing machine) and also the little machines that administer her meds and such.. The nurse sounded kind of nervous and she told me she'd rather them just come up to her bedside and do it. What had to happen was they would move her from her isolete (the plastic box thing) into another one, similar to how the Life Flight team transferred her when she was moved to Primary and apparently a lot could go wrong. I had no idea. Anyway, everything was fine. They prepped me for this LONG journey she would be going on.. I thought I'd do the same for you. I haven't blogged for a day and I'm feeling kinda rambly.. not a word I know.. ANYWAY.

They did the X-ray with the dye and the esophagus hole has officially.... CLOSED!! They even got a feeding tube down SUCCESSFULLY without puncturing her esophagus again. I wanted so badly for them to start giving her milk yesterday but the doctor was still hesitant. My little girl is so hungry, I'm sure! He ordered for another echo to be done on her heart this morning and then he said they would talk about milk. The echo showed the PDA as moderate and it was not causing any strain on the heart so... Darbi got milk today at 2:00PM. They gave her 1CC and what a Thanksgiving feast that was for her! Ok.. not really. A full feeding, in a day, is 150CC. She gets 1CC every 3 hours. Good enough though! My milk is gold in her gut!


Also, I was able to be there on Tuesday when the doctor's do their rounds and when they sat down around Darbi to talk about her, the doctor looks at her chart and says, "So this is just a routine preemie, right?" RIGHT!!!! Nothing else is seriously wrong with her at the moment and her only major problem is that she's teeny-tiny! I'll take it!

I almost forgot! They measured her Sunday night.. She's 12 inches long now! She has grown a whole inch since January 1st!

The plan for the next few days is to just continue to give her milk and let her get stronger. We will probably be doing surgery on the PDA but they haven't even talked about a date yet and we're not too worried. The doctors have told us it is a routine procedure and can be done in 5 minutes by the bedside. We'll deal with that when the time comes though.

They gave her a bow today. :)

9 Wisecracks:

Alison said...

woooooooo hoooooooooo!!!

What great news! I love it! Your news made my day. Thanks.

The Alleman Family said...

Real Food! Yummy in her oh so tiny tummy! I love the bow! I am so glad she is just a "routine preemie" that is awesome news... keep up the good work little Darbi!

Audrey said...

I'm so excited!!! A whole inch! And a bow! And a healthy but tiny baby! This is great! I can't wait to meet her!

Debbie, Taylor and Raygan said...

YEAH DARBI!!!! You are growing so fast, soon you will pudgy from all that cream your mama is giving you. Congrats on all the achievements and milestones. We can't wait to meet Miss Darbi and snuggle the little darling!

Justina Selim said...

Happy news!! I love the video down below of her opening her eyes!

Toni said...

What great news! Thanks for all the updates!!

rachel b. said...

Wow, that's great! So I have a story for you. The other day, I was talking to this lady who happened to mention a 1-pound baby she had had, so I asked about it. Basically, she had a similar situation to what you guys are in but her baby was a lot worse off than Darbi (who is turning out to be a total champion, by the way)--the doctors told her that her daughter probably wouldn't live past early childhood, she would never be able to speak, and might even have serious brain damage because of all the bleeding in her brain. Well, she pretty much decided that none of that was going to happen and her daughter is now seventeen and there's absolutely nothing wrong with her. She said, "Well, I thought for a while she might have a speech impediment, but all her friends talk the same way, so I think that's just how kids are talking these days." :-) And I told her I had a friend who had just had a little teensy 1-pound baby and she said to tell you that everything will be fine and Darbi will do great. And also, she asked if you had a boy or a girl, and when I said girl, she said, "Oh good. They're fighters." So never fear, because according to my friend, everything will be totally awesome with your little sweetheart! I'm always excited to read about what new improvements she's making--it sounds like she's doing great!

Megan B ♥ said...

What an awesome update! Milk! Closed holes! Labeled a "routine preemie"! It doesn't get much better! I peeked in this morning before I left, but I wasn't there very long. I didn't feel great (just super amazingly tired today) so I left once they drugged him up for his MRI. I figured he didn't know whether I was there or not :) GREAT news on the MRI!!! It looks "beautiful" and though there is evidence of a small brain bleed in his right ventricle, previously undetected on both ultrasounds because of its odd position, it appears to be shrinking to almost nothing and they expect it to have no longlasting consequences!! That's where he was when you came to visit, down in imaging. I was racing home to my bed for a nap :) I'll hope to see you on Sunday! I'm going grocery shopping tomorrow and getting a few other things done. Food? Oh yeah. Guess not everyone can live on my breast milk... I wanted to say hello to Darbi before I jetted, but I didn't want to be hauled off in handcuffs, LOL! :)

Melissa said...

You don't know me, but I used to live in Utah and shopped all the time at Pebbles. I have been reading your little girl's updates. She is in my family's prayers. I am glad she is doing so well!!