Our first of many trips to Primary

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Today, Clint and I drove up to Primary Children's to see Darbi. It was a little weird because Utah Valley has started to seem like our second home and now we have to get used to a completely new hospital with new staff and everything. When we got there it was "quiet time" in the NICU and so from 4-5pm, they turn off all of the lights and they don't do any tests or anything on the babies. You also have to whisper when you are near them and that is to ensure that the babies get at least one good hour of uninterrupted sleep with essentially no stimulation whatsoever. It was kind of relaxing, even for Clint and I.

They had done a few more X-rays on her since yesterday and they also did one while we were there and we were able to see that there was no air escaping from her esophagus into her chest cavity like the doctors were anticipating. Still great news! We're definitely not in the clear yet because they did a lung culture on her and we are awaiting the results to see if she really does have pneumonia or some kind of bacteria in there. I'm not sure of the details on that test but whatever the results, I know we can get through it and I know Darbi will be strong.

When we called up there this morning to see how she is doing, the nurse said that we had one "feisty" little girl. I was so proud! I mean, I don't want her expending unnecessary energy but if they do something to her and it makes her uncomfortable, she will let them know it! That means that she won't succumb to anything that is attacking her body like an infection or something. She won't give up and she'll fight as hard as she can to be here. I know that our Heavenly Father wouldn't have sent her to us early if he knew that she couldn't handle the trials she would face here. She's a strong little girl and she amazes me everyday with her progress. I know there will be set backs but I'm sure the Lord will help her and help Clint and I to get through it.

I just want everyone to know how grateful we are for all of the thoughts and prayers that have been made on our behalf. I know we wouldn't be where we are right now without the faith of all of you out there. I'll bake cookies for you all someday! I promise! :)

2 Wisecracks:

Alison said...

next spring, bake cookies with Darbi, and tell her a funny story about me from your yw days while you are doing it. :-)

what great news for everyone. you are a great mama!!! and so is yo' mama. (i saw her today... watching her talk about your little family was so sweet...)

rachel b. said...

What a fighter! That's great. I'm glad she's doing so well, and that you FINALLY got to go home!